Give Me a Sine

This evening's RESPECT meeting was on immigration, racism, and Islam. There was a positive vibe, and 30-35 people there, including some young muslims from the local mosque.

The presentation and discussion was of the 'sound but obvious' kind. All these...

* Muslims in different countries, centuries and circumstances have diffent beliefs.
* Some kinds of Islam oppress women and some don't, just like some kinds of Christianity, Hunduism and every other major religion.
* If the middle east were largely populated by jews or atheists living on oil reserves American wants, the TV and newspapers would be full of stories about how jews or atheists want to take over the world.
* Whenever some ruler or group threatens the interests of the powerful the group get vilified in the media and the ruler gets compared to Hitler.

...are extremely obvious to me. But the country seems full of people who have forgotten that they once knew these things. Even when they remember that the TV lies to them, they still believe the lies.
-----
Paul T invited me back for mugs of tea afterwards. He was his usual prolix and domineering self, but he played Goldfrapp's latest album "Supernature", which sounds brilliant.
-----
I've come up with a system that solves several problems with recording vocals. I create a very basic dummy backing track just for vocal recording, composed of a beat and a droning sine wave that gives the root of the chord structure for each part of the song.

The drums are decaying sine pulses, like on the earliest drum machines. The low density of frequencies means that, even when it's played loud, it doesn't leak out of the headphones into the microphone.

Singing to a single tone tells me exactly what frequency to harmonise with, and deviate from. It's just easier to tell whether I'm in tune with one sine wave than with several multitimbral instruments.

It also means I have the opportunity to write songs in this basic form - easily experimenting and making changes. I can create a much more ornate backing later, as a process seperate from coming up with lyrics, chords and song structures.

2 comments:

  1. A real enlightening blog. Don't stop now. This may be of interest to you; how to buy & sell everything, like distance education on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Singing to a single tone tells me exactly what frequency to harmonise with, and deviate from. It's just easier to tell whether I'm in tune with one sine wave than with several multitimbral instruments.

    It also means I have the opportunity to write songs in this basic form - easily experimenting and making changes. I can create a much more ornate backing later, as a process seperate from coming up with lyrics, chords and song structures."


    Sorry, I don't get it. I'm sure you have a point; you generally do, it just escapes me... If it is an idea to aid your vocals, I don't see it working. You have to feel a performance, and this won't help... imho!
    N (not logged on)

    ReplyDelete