An Actor's Life for Me

I spent the entire night sorting out piles of CDRs. Some redundant, some unreadable, some not what the label said, and some with no label at all. At the end, there was a bin full of CDs, a pile of 80 containing nothing but mp3s (now nicely catalogued), and similar number with video, and about 40 with software (both still to be catalogued).

The folder in one of the big backup DVDs containing my collected lyrics turned out to be...empty. I can reconstruct most of the 30 or so songs from memory or recordings, but I'm not especially pleased about it. Gah!

I then had breakfast at 0700, went to bed, and woke up at 1600.
-----
The Investigation is a play by Peter Weiss, consisting of edited transcripts from nazi war criminal trials. Max is a theatre director who put on a performance of the play several months ago. In October, he booked a venue for a second performance, and in December got around to assembling a cast, which began rehearsals in January.

Today at 1730, Max telephoned me, saying the performance is on Thursday and there's no one to play the Defence lawyer. So could I do it. So I say alright. Max is a very laid back director.

So I have five days to rehearse a pivotal role in a 90 minute stageplay (cut down from 4 hours). This should be interesting.

Still, I've found my specs (under boxes of dead computer peripherals), so I should be able to (a) read the script and (b) look like an evil lawyer.
-----
No more Galloway on the radio, though the feeling is now that his carreer may not be irrevocably damaged. He's been shoved off the airwaves by the situation in Palastine. In summary, Hamas (a political party that used to be a terrorist group) won an election over Fata (a political party that used to be a different terrorist group), causing America (a country that funds terrorists) to threaten cutting off aid.

It seems a democratic election in the middle east is an obstacle to spreading democracy in the middle east.

2 comments:

  1. Max is a theatre director who put on a performance of the play several months ago.

    You know, I initially read that as Marx is a theatre director who put on a performance of the play several months ago.

    Yes, it is surprising how many former terrorists become legitimate political parties in the end. Politics is really only about power, so should we find this quite so surprising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't find it surprising. What I constantly find surprising is the number of people who profess themselves cynical (or just enlightened) about politics who 'relapse' into nievity when an issue becomes 'hot'.

    About politics in general say "They're all as bad as each other" or "There's no good guys or bad guys, only my interests and your interests", but when a specific issue is highlighted by the media - Palastinian independance, Iranian nuclear power, even French muslim schoolgirls - they flip over into "This is right and that is wrong. These people are good and those are bad."

    These are often the same people who think (but would never say), "War is wrong and unjustified, except the one we're fighting now. I know we thought all the others were different too, but this one really is different. This time the propaganda's true - it says so in the paper."

    ReplyDelete