Sneeze

Right. I'm tanked up on Day Nurse and Lemsip and one or two other cold treatments. And I've still got a head full of cotton wool, a mouth full of wood shavings, and a nose full of concrete.

The plan is to do all the professional stuff and get the cold over, by Friday. Then see H and start writing music again. I've given my immune system the deadline, and I'll have a word with God about time later.

-----

I've found a way to prevent the computer crashing when I capture TV. It's to use the software that came with the capture card. Yes, I know.

The thing is, the software captures only in MPEG2, which is one of the least friendly formats for editing and transcoding. I want to capture in MJPEG - one letter different, big usability difference.

I'll even settle for low-ish quality realtime DivX captures, but they crash too.

-----

I've completed the first assignment on my course. Question 3 was "Describe briefly the process of sweating in humans and explain how sweating cools the human body." Here's my answer:

When heat is fed into liquid water, it can either increase in temperature, or retain the same temperature but become vapour.

The latter is evaporation, which can occur at any temperature below boiling point (approximately 97 degrees Celsius). At boiling point, the probability of evaporation is 100%, but it can occur at levels below this, the probability decreasing with heat level.

Sweating is the secretion of water (and dissolved salts) onto the external surface of the skin. When humans sweat for any reason, the water in it will be warmed by the skin. Given time, the probability is that the water will evaporate, drawing a comparatively large amount of heat from the skin to do so.

Thus when sweat evaporates, skin cools.


I'm not quite sure what else I could have said.

No comments:

Post a Comment