100 Things about Kapitano, Part 3: Education


11)My two earliest memories are of my mother, teaching me to swim, and teaching me algebra.

I'm not much good at either.


12) I have a masters degree, a bachelors degree, most of a computing HND, one third of a theology degree, five A-Levels, fourteen GCSEs, miscellaneous computing qualifications...and a teacher's certificate for ESL.

Only the last has ever been useful, though getting the others was a fun excuse for learning about completely different things.


13) I'm always interested in a subject least when I'm supposed to be studying it.

At seventeen I was supposed to be studying for exams in computing - but discovered ancient Greek philosophy, which was much more interesting. At 21 I was supposed to be studying for exams in the ancient Greek world - but discovered molecular biology, which was much more interesting.


14) The greatest single failure of the British school system was in not teaching me any languages.

I got interested in linguistics after learning Esperanto after (a) spending six weeks getting nowhere learning German and (b) not-quite having an affair with an Esperantist I met through an interest in twentieth century English Literature - which I'd got through accidentally seeing a stage play on late night TV, while looking for sounds to sample for making music.

I'd sell half my life to regain that feeling of constant mindblowing discovery,


15) I always feel like either the smartest person in the room...or the dumbest.

Sometimes in the same minute.


1 comment:

  1. Ha! The one about your mother and swimming and math is funny!

    Holy crap that's a lot of learning! But I've felt English was a very hard language to teach. Hell, even I have problems with it, and I'm a native speaker!

    15 is very wise...either that or you're in government!

    ReplyDelete