Something More than Nothing

I've been looking at ways to record the gig on Friday. I have an old 4-track cassette machine that's smaller than a sheet of A4 and easily portable, but double-speed cassette sound quality isn't great.

There are small minidisc recorders available, but they all seem to have single minijack stereo mic sockets. Duel mono jack or for preference XLR (perhaps even with phantom power) would be a lot better, so I can plug in multiple and decent microphones.

There's the digital 8-track, which is portable in the sense that it can be carried, but not portable in the sense that it can be carried in a pocket.

There's even a reel-to-reel tape system that's probably older than I am, has all the sockets you could wish for, gives very good sound reproduction, was built like a battleship and is only marginally more portable.

Sion R finally called back, to say I'm probably on second-to-last at around 11pm, and we can work out recording procedures with his PA at 6pm before the bands arrive. Which is good, but will make for a rather long evening.

Oh, and Strict Machines are asking for 50 additional copies of the demo CD by Friday to give out at their concerts, on the grounds that that's how The Arctic Monkeys built up a fanbase. I've ordered 200 cheap unbranded CDRs and wallets (coming to UKP40.48), and they'll reimburse me with a crisp tenner and large amounts of spicy east european food.
-----
One of the songs I haven't posted. So here goes:

Nothing Less Than Everything

Verse 1
Make a circle in wet sand
Trace it over with your hand
Are there one or two?
Say your name a hundred times
Then once more and you will find
Only sound remains

Chorus 1
Your life is not a waking dream
Your soul is made of flesh and bone
Your eyes reach out and touch the world
See you're not alone

Verse 2
Choose one door, choose one of three
Million dollars in your reach
Should you change your mind?
One was saved and one was damned
Faith is not to understand
Why do you believe?

Chorus 2
Your time is not a pointless joke
Your soul is made of hair and skin
Your hands reach out and grasp the world
Hope for truth within

Chourus 3
Nothing less than everything
Nothing more than you can hold
Nothing matters anymore
When you're bought and sold

2 comments:

  1. Really good lyrics, though I always thought a chorus was a repetative element, and yours are all different... Nothing wrong with them, they're just different.

    Oh and a £10 return on a £40 investment isn't good. Even with lots of spicy food. Unless it's £10 plus £40.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to pack a lot of stuff into a song. It's one of the things that got me interested in rap, because rap gives you the opportunity to say a lot more - though often you just use more words, which isn't the same thing.

    Besides, I just rather like the idea of varying choruses. Not that I always use them - the set closer, Friend has a repeating chorus, for a slightly anthemic feel.

    As for the money, I spend 40 pounds on CDRs, use a quarter of them to make demo CDs, get reinbursed for that quarter, and use the other three quarters for my own purposes. In effect I'm buying 150 CDRs for me, and getting paid in food for making 50 CDs for someone else.

    ReplyDelete