The Book of Job

Never explain through malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.

In my last job I was a video archivist. I was told it would be on a series of rolling 13 week contracts, eventually - maybe - becoming permanant. I was not told that these 'rolling' contracts might not be contigous. Thus I have been unemployed for 3 months, with the 'possibility' of employment recommencing. This, presumably, is not a way to ensure staff loyalty.

When I signed on at the jobcentre, I was immidiately classified as 'disabled' - on account of my less-than-perfect distance vision - and thus sent to the head of the queue for a course. I've never been 'disabled' before, but it seems to be easier to pay to send me on a course, than to pay to get me spectacles.

The company that runs the course are waiting for the jobcentre to send them some paperwork to confirm that I am ready to start the course. Meanwhile, the jobcentre is waiting for the company to tell them 'officially' that I am on their waiting list to begin. While waiting, I have completed the major parts of the course.

Even though the paperwork for my enrollments on parts 1 and 2 of the course are held up, the paperwork for my enrollment on part 3 is not. I am due to begin part three on Thursday, but I cannot do so, because I first need to attend an interview at the jobcentre to confirm that I have completed parts 1 and 2 (even though I haven't officially started them yet). I did have a previous date for that appointment, but did not attend because the jobcentre neglected to inform me of the fact.

The course is on 'how to become self employed'. It may yet prove useful, as my previous employer have, after 3 months, sent me a P45. They have yet to decide whether or not my old job still exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment