To Hear Ourselves as Others Hear Us

Quite a productive day. Even if it did start at 4pm.

The band were rather taken with my rough recordings of their practice session - they'd never heard most of their reportiore before when they weren't actually playing it, so this was a chance to hear what they sound like to an audiance.

They're getting the princely sum of UKP120 for their next gig, UKP40 of which goes to me to pay for the new microphones, and another UKP25 for a new miniature mixing unit - 4 stereo inputs or 8 mono ones.

BTW, I've a feeling it's supposed to be GBP, not UKP. Anway...


Drinks, meal and philosophical chat with John M. Subjects ranging from non-euclidian geometry as a vaccuous metaphor in the writings of Baudrillard...to the meaningfulness of taking the square root of a negative number and the measurements of subatomic particles.

My grasp on Newton's laws of motion may be a bit shaky, but at least I can sound a bit like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Angstroms and Riemanian space


C and I did rather rush into a relationship, before finding out whether it was advisable, feasible, desirable etc. We still don't know, but the plan - which we discussed civilly on the phone tonight - is to find out when he gets back in a fortnight.

No pressure, no painful emotional excavation, and no falling into the nearest bed. Even if we can find one. In other words, I buy him a drink, he tells me about Peru, and we see how we function as friends before thinking about other stuff. That's the idea anyway. Cautious, sensible and friendly.

4 comments:

  1. After the storm... I'm glad you feel better now. And in a fortnight «Que será, aerá! What ever will be, will be!»...
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's been a black day for me. I'm sorry, Captain, for writing this here so bluntly, but I don't trust my blog anymore. Some homophobic son of a bitch managed to delete almost the entire template. How is this ever possible? I do know I'm far too ignorant as far as these thingies are concerned, but I never thought something like this could ever occur. I really don't know what to do. Next thing that may happen is I turn on the computer in the morning and the whole blog is gone, vanished?!
    I'm really down...
    (Thank you for your comment. I knew you would react. But I haven't read it yet... No time!)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks fine and unchanged to me. Maybe Blogger.Com had some problems for a few hours and resolved them?

    It is possible for someone to hack into your blogspot and change the template - I don't know how, but it's always eventually possible to break through computer security. But if someone wanted to delete your blog, and had the ability, why not delete the whole thing?

    I say it must be possible to hack into a blogger account, but I've never heard of anyone doing it.

    You're nervous because one idiot flagged your blog for "objectionable content" - which they took to mean "left politics". I checked out Blogger's policy for dealing with flagged blogs. If they recieve "several" flags for a blog, they look at the blog themselves, and if they agree it is offensive, they remove it from the Blogger search engine, but leave the blog itself unchanged.

    Blogger (perhaps wisely) doesn't try to clearly define what "objectionable" means exactly, but I think it means "containing hardcore sexual images". They seem to be aware that many (or most) flags will be set by idiots for no good reason, so have a policy of ignoring them unless there's a lot of them and they seem reasonable.

    In short: Right now, I don't know what, if anything, happend to your blog. But it seems quite alright now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Captain, for your concern! The truth is it looks alright now because I spent a couple of hours re-doing the side bar... Yesterday evening it was almost gone, from half the blogroll down to «Blogger» orange tag... And it had less to do with politics than with sexuality...
    Let's just give time to time and see what happens next!
    Ready for the weekend?... :-)

    ReplyDelete