En Attendant Bloggo

People who've never thought about it like to say you can find anything on the internet. Obviously you can't. You won't find a proof of the Goldbach Conjecture because no one's found one yet. You won't find out what I had for breakfast yesterday, because it wasn't recorded anywhere. And you won't find details of Dick Cheney's masterplan to bring about the armageddeon, because although it's probably recorded, it's not available to the public.

However, you do find lots of interesting and unexpected stuff surfing Blogger. It's useless for finding what you wanted, but good for finding what you never knew you'd enjoy reading. Here's a selection of today's trawl:

Goddess Space. I once knew a teenage girl who wanted to be a lesbian - because all the lesbians she knew at school were really cool. I could have been frightfully prim and PC, and pointed out that lesbians vary just as much as everyone else. But this one is pretty cool.

Science Goes to Hollywood - A scientist and movie fan who plans to document and comment on any science she(?) sees in any movies. Nothing there yet, but might be intersting to come back to.

Tracking Holds at Oak Park Public Library - A librarian named Joslyn publishes summaries of how many Holds she and her collegues complete each week. After reading it, I still have no idea what a Hold is.

An Old Broad's Ramblings - Kate describes herself thus: "I'm a Pro Life, Pro Gun, Christian conservative and completely politically incorrect. I have an attitude and I know how to use it!" So, yet another reactionary pretending to be a rebel. It seems the far-right lunatics of America really do feel themselves to be a persecuted minority, even though they're the one's in control and...um, persecuting minorities.

Holt Press - it's well know that men with families are boring, football fans are thugs, Australians hate the English, and anyone with a job that involves religion is to be avoided. However, it is also well known that exceptions prove rules.

What goes through George Bush's mind at bedtime. Honest.

Michigan Architecture - I've sometimes wondered why it takes seven years to train an architect, who then designs houses that look like shoeboxes. Except they're slightly less interesting than shoeboxes, and less fun to live in. Well, if shoeboxes looked like these buildings, we'd buy the shoes just to have the boxes. Though they'd be no good for keeping shoes in.

I thought I was fairly interested in world politics, and not completely ignorant. But here is someone who's really interested.

The Bible is completely mad. But some people who try to live according to it are sane and intelligent. Perhaps it's like Stepford Wives - pleasant on the surface, dark and horrific underneath. Or maybe they're only trying to live according to the sensible bits.

Yesterday, I knew two blogs by nice gay blokes called Brian. Today, I know three.

Actually, even I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. It might have been porridge.

7 comments:

  1. En attendant Godot/Dodot, it is some times quite «recreative» to go for a walk. And the Bloggarden can be a nice place to go for a stroll...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I forgot something that may be important or not at all. It only depends on how much it really messes up your life or not.
    Since my mother died when I was 19 I developed a hereditarian (from my father) skin condition called psoriasis. I tend to forget about it. But some crises are really nasty, so I'd better not show my hands in public... I keep them in my pockets even if I should shake hands with someone. People tend to get desgusted. I understand.
    Life sucks... some times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've known several people with psoriasis - and it cirtainly did get worse when they were under heavy strain.

    People don't get digusted shaking hands with someone with palms calloused from hard work, or kissing lips made rough by cigarette smoking. So it seems odd they should have such an exgerated reaction to psoriasis.

    I'd just wear gloves.

    When I was a teenager I used to go out with a guy who had Cerebral Palsy, and he didn't think it was strange that a disabled man like him got involved with me.

    On the other hand, two years ago I was involved with a very fit and healthy man who couldn't believe anyone would want him - because his ears stuck out.

    In short: we have very stange and inconsistant attitudes towards our bodies, to beauty and imperfection. But you and I know that anyway.

    My body has it's problems, but they're not made worse by stress. Stress only affects my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One just cannot have everything the wrong way in life, can he?
    Yes, stress is really a pain in the ar..., ie, in hands and feet in my case...
    Gloves are quite okay - in a colder climate. Here it would be exactly the same as having your hands down your pockets...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever find out anything about that old TV programme House Party (or was it Houseparty?) - please let me know.

    I can't believe anyone would want to be a lesbian for such superficial reasons. It may be cool, but do these girls know they'll have to have short finger nails for the rest of their god-forsaken lives?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that you linked to my blog. Thanks. How did you come across it?

    One clarification: was I one of the completely mad folks or one of the sane and intelligent ones?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're a sane, intelligent person who's trying to do what's right within a set of conflicting and bizarre rules.

    In other words, you're like most christians I know. Decent people who emphasise the best parts of the scripture.

    I think they could manage perfectly well without the scriptures, but they're like someone who walks perfectly well, but has been using a walking stick for so long, it feels like they need it.

    ReplyDelete