Will Work for Food

The coach for the demo leaves at 0630 on Saturday, and I'm reliably informed that the journey each way is 6 hours. If I were getting paid to do this, I'd have found another job years ago.


I now have a nice clean floor, books neatly stacked on shelves, data CDs numbered and catalogued, small electronic gizmos in labeled small clear plastic bags with their associated cables and attatchments, and a neat bank of computers and keyboards placed where I can use them.

There's the small details that one computer keeps crashing for no reason, some of the cables won't quite reach, and everything not tidied is in a big heap on the bed, but I'm getting there.


John M called to ask me about his new printer, which had locked up in just the same way as the old printer it replaced. In return for a shared takeaway curry and an impromptu presentation on the history of British colonialism in Asia, I fixed the problem using my special secret method of pulling out the plug, waiting a minute, and putting it back in again.

The printer now works perfectly. Well, a bit better than the old one.

All of which got me within 5 minutes walk from where CW lives. So I texted, asking him if he felt up to a gentle stroll and a chat. An impromptu date, in other words.

He's shaved his head. More by accident than design - the accident being with electric hair clippers with misleading settings. So there we were, two podgy bespectacled skinheads, sitting in some armpit of a pub, somehow obviously on a gaydate.

I still can't believe that this relationship...works. There's no fireworks, no intense sexual chemistry, no soppy love songs. We're just instantly relaxed with each other, and don't need to explain our thoughts when we express them.

5 comments:

  1. Now your floor is nice and clean, do you want to come to Edinburgh and do mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll happily do yours. And your floor.

    (Welcome back, oh mingy one. We've missed you.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart? Just the average. Multilingual/polyglot (I prefer Greek)? Ever since childhood.
    Caring? Some times quite stupidly; or tragically.
    But still reading you? I should resent that «but», but I do read you as I read everyone else who comments on my blog.
    (I believe this is another proof among so many others that I am curious.)
    How nice! Minge's been around too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still in Japan! Still not coping with Japanese keyboards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A late response to Ric:

    You misunderstood my humour, and I didn't understand your comment. I intended to reply, but forgot, and you believed my silence was another insult to you.

    You wrote about your anger at me on your blog, and I tried to explain, but you were still angry. I have apologised on your blog, and now I hope you can stop being angry and I can stop feeling guilty.

    ReplyDelete