Happy Deathday to You

It's September the 11th! A day that's a lot like Christmas.

* It seems to come around more quickly each year.
* The TV is full of extremely crap, ill informed documentaries about it.
* No one's quite sure what really happened all those years ago, but they know it's important.
* People like to say it changed the world forever, even though they're a bit unclear on what changed.
* There's daft conspiracy theories about it. And an even dafter official line.

Oh yes, and

* It's all tied up with being a good christian. But only according to the worst christians.


After phoning round all the schools and colleges in the area, I can confirm that none of them run science courses for adults. Okay, there's one, an hour's drive away, that does an AS-Level in chemistry. But that's it.

There's a desperate shortage of science teachers, but I can't get a qualification that would help me lessen that shortage by becoming one because...well, there's a desperate shortage of people who can teach me science.

That, and the government that's so intent on increasing the number of educators, has cut funding for adult education.

So what else can I try? Distance Learning is expensive, and the qualifications are often worth not one tenth of the money I can't afford to pay for them. I used the Open University last year, but - largely for my own fault - I dropped out, and they now have rules about not letting dropouts try again without "good reason".

I'm going to look at TEFL. Teaching English as a Foreign Language, aka "teaching Business English to the sons of foreign rich bastards". It won't qualify me to teach science, but it will (I'm told) give me the teaching experience that universities with Teacher Training courses like their applicants to have. If you follow me.


Grant has got back to me. My fears were groundless - he's not been scared off by me being a fat faggy old trotskyist at all. In fact he's very cool.

Smart, bankrupt, aimless, eclectic, laidback and honest. A bit like me, I think.


Right. My tidying of the bedroom has reached that halfway stage when there's more things on top of other things than when it was all in a big heap.

My bed used to just have a pile of clothes on it. Now there's assorted cups, bottles and cutlery too. Instead of miscellaneous bits of paper everywhere, there's three binbags full of it, which somehow take up more space.

So, seeing as I can't lie down, I'll tidy up some more.

And for relaxation, I'm figuring out how to make vintage analog drum-machine-type sounds using moving High-Q narrow-band-pass filtered white noise. And if you understood that, you've probably done the same thing.

2 comments:

  1. howdy!
    1. absolutely correct. today Blogworld has been pretty morose what with all the memorialization. good for you.
    2. no pov whatsoever. am american. unqualified to teach as corporal punishment is no longer allowed in american classrooms.
    3. you need to clean up your room a lot more often , i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm going to look at TEFL. Teaching English as a Foreign Language,"

    Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. It may not be the most direct route but at least it will get you where you need to go.

    ReplyDelete