Let's Get Physical

I'm going to do A-Level Physics, by post. I'll give the maths a miss, because I didn't understand half the terms in the syllabus.

Poisson Distribution, Expectation Algebra, Linear Programming? Oh dear. As for the physics, although I can't remember Planck's Constant, or exactly what a Newton or a Coulomb is, I do know it wasn't difficult to understand when I was 16.

It would be fascinating to spend a TEFLing year in Vietnam (or South Korea, or the Czech republic, or wherever), teaching my truely bizarre native tongue to classes of wannabe tycoons.

But I'd much rather stay at home and make music.


On the front page of the local rag today, two stories. One about how a "torrential downpour" caused "flooding", forcing some schools to close for the day.

The "monsoon" was a few minutes worth of heavy rain, which the drains were too pathetic to cope with. This has become an annual event around Portsmouth - the sewers overflowing due to "freak weather", followed by a press conference where the council tell us this kind of thing only happens once every 500 years, so there's no urgent need to repair the drains.

The other story is headed "He didn't deserve to die. He was too young". Apart from the intriguing implication that some people do deserve to die, and some people are old enough for it not to matter, details are inside.

The 19 year old boy died in a brawl when "a fight broke out between staff and young men at the Spice of India resteraunt". So, staff and customers inexplicably started fighting, and poor Dan was an innocent caught in the middle.

The small detail that he was part of the gang that went around picking fights with asians, was glossed over. Odd that the newspaper should lie about this, when everyone knows what happened. His mother wants the perpetrators caught, presumably including the dead one. Meanwhile "the entire community is in mourning".


Spock is having trouble breathing. There are better days and worse days, and he still seems to be in no pain, but my parents are taking in that evasive middle-class way about "letting the vet have a look at him".


I reckon I've come up with a pretty good title for an anti-war song: Texan Guns and Shock and Awe.

Now all I need is an anti-war song to go with it. If anyone wants to use the title, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment