An Ill Wind

It's midday on the third day, and I'm still shitting water every two hours or so.

At 0530 I was feeling pretty good - no stomach cramps or nausea - so I decided to try a small breakfast, seeing as I hadn't eaten for two days. In retrospect, porridge might have been a better idea than poached egg on toast - I managed to eat half of it, and 4 hours later my stomach was still gurgling and bubbling like a mad scientist's laboratory.

I wasn't actually hungry at the time, and I still have no appetite at all. I can enjoy the taste of mints, and the smell of food cooking is pleasant, and my stomach grumbles a little from emptiness, but I have no urge to swallow anything.

My stomach has presumably shrunk from being empty (I've a vague feeling this is normal), because a quarter of a pint of tea now makes me feel overstuffed. Previously I could happily down a pint mug without problem.

I have to rest and sometimes sleep every 3 - 4 hours, which may be because of the illness itself, or low-level malnutrition.

I'm using the hours in bed to listen to radio dramas and documentaries that I recorded years ago, in case I was ever...laid up ill in bed, half awake and bored. Isn't forward planning wonderful?


It might mean something, or nothing, but my father was sick when he woke up this morning, and still feels weak. Any strong smell, especially food, makes him queasy.

And Mother has been getting dizzy spells, but feels otherwise alright.


If we have the strength, on Saturday Dino is "going to see his ladyfriend". Yes, that means we're breeding our showdog, probably recieving a bouncing baby puppy in 8 months (I think) time.

Provided Dino doesn't turn out to be gay, of course. Given the flourishingly flamboyant way he does everything, it's not completely cirtain.


Thanks to everyone for the messages of support.

Ric: I regard life as a tragi-comedy. It's both horrible and humerous at the same time. I'm told this is a very English way of looking at things, but I'm also told it's a very Jewish way, and a very Slavic way.

1 comment:

  1. So that's just it, Kapitano... I'm just out of the whole bunch, I guess, being neither English nor Jewish (as far as I can tell) nor Slavic.
    We do tend more for tragedy, that's for sure... And that's also why that very same trace of character has been demolishing us for the last centuries. Peoples like persons live and get old...
    (Thank you for answering! It's so rare these days...)

    ReplyDelete