A thin line beween inspiration and plagarism and...collaboration

I've recorded the 'Alternative' double album by the Pet Shop Boys to WAV format. Listening to the tape play, I was surprised that I'd ever listened happily to sound of such poor quality. But there were also some songs that I don't recall.

One of these was the final track 'Some Speculation', which made me sit up and pay attention. It's a precursor to the current chillout music, and it must have been made around the time Neil Tennant was edging his way properly out of the closet - as were so many of us in the early 90s.

Here's the lyrics, which now don't seem so much ambigious as intelligently open:
There's been some speculation about a recent invitation
There's been some speculation about a recent invitation
What's your game?
What's his name?
Is it your inclination to accept this invitation?
Is it your inclination to accept this invitation?
What's your game?
Going away with someone new
Yesterday I went there too
Going away with someone new
Yesterday I went there too

The track has given me the spark of inspiration I've been chasing all day, for the song I promised to write. It isn't complete yet, but I'm pretty settled on the choruses:

Does she stand and dim the light
Before kissing you goodnight
Does she sit with you and listen

When you tell her I'm your prison

Does she let you stroke her hair
When you tell her that you care
Does she hold you as you sleep

While I close my eyes and weep

The song is from the point of view of an older gay man in a relationship with a younger one. But the younger one is being seduced away by a woman. The older man loves the younger very much, but is somewhat possessive, and the relationship may be doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment