Is This just Fantasy?


“I can believe anything provided it is incredible.”
- Oscar Wilde

This week's culinary invention: Digestive biscuits with a dollop of creme fraiche on top. Served with a cup of tea, Much healthier than chocolate buscits topped with crunchy peanut butter.

Last week it was carrots dipped in humous, served with a 50/50 mixture of red wine and apple juice.

Mother is dosed with painkillers and writing an essay on how to turn a concertina into a midi controller. Earlier I showed her how to make musique concrete by pitch shifting and cutting up samples.

There's a second mouse in my room. This one's larger, lives in the opposite wall, and eats my clothes. I was wondering why my teeshirt had new holes in it each morning.

The first mouse is called Bert...so I'm calling the second one Ernie, though I have no idea of their respective genders.

I have a booklet of preparatory work for the course in October. It contains such such incredibly easy questions as "Why is reading easier than listening?", and such incredibly difficult questions as "How can the teacher maintain authority?"

In between questions, I'm looking at webpages on lucid dreaming. I wonder if it's possible to rehearse lessons in your sleep?

Actually I've always been puzzled about why people sleep at all, and from reading blogs on science and psychology it seems the professionals are just as puzzled.

There's no shortage of unconvincing theories. Some say sleep is a way of "recharging your batteries" after exertion, by which reasoning lazy people would need less sleep than the active. Others suggest the mind needs to shut down frequently to perform self-maintence, which might fall to a similar objection.

I rather like the theory that it isn't periods of sleep that serve an evolutionary purpose at all - it's periods of wakefulness. In most creatures that sleep, the difference between their sleeping and waking activities are not that great. Their waking lives resemble our semiconscious states - or even sleepwalking.

It's an interesting idea, because it makes sleep the default state of conscious beings.

But still no one knows why we yawn.

So many things that need to be done, so many more interesting things that don't.

1 comment:

  1. With yawning, it's just like it is for sleeping. A lot of people have explanations. The two off the top of my head is that yawning was an evoltionary holdover of group communications. It was signal for the group that it was time to go to sleep. The second one is that it is the body trying to signal you that it is tired and at the same time, give you a momentary shot of energy to make sure you realize it.

    ReplyDelete