Squeak!


“I speak two languages, Body and English.”
- Mae West

I have an interview on Friday. For the TEFL course in London. I am rather happy.

I'm also rather nervous.

I've never had much trouble getting up and singing to a room of musicians. I'm fine if I have to give an impromptu tutorial or say something at a debate. But I'm always terrified of interviews. And this one's important.

So, until then my head will be full of all the TEFLy things I can read in preparation.

Oh, and I'm going to see what I can do about the finances, so I don't have to live on tea and biscuits the whole month.

I've decided the mouse in my bedroom is called Bert - because it's the first name that came to mind. He's about five inches long, though half of that is tail, a brownish grey colour, and getting progressively less scared of me.

He patrols the skirting boards, looking for bits of crisps and sweets that I must have dropped, dragging them back to whatever secret place he comes from.

Do you think I'm soft because I left out some bits of bread for him last night? They were all gone in the morning.

I've just realised - it's September the eleventh again. A date that somehow seems to come around more often than christmas.

Six years to the day that I turned on the TV and thought "Oh look, a disaster movie". Before looking again and thinking "Oh shit, there's going to be a war".

Two as it turned out - three if you include the Lebanon. And all catastrophic defeats for the most powerful empire that's ever existed - which I think is many times more incredible than the initial attacks themselves.

So, to take stock, we have:

* An American and world public that overwhelmingly favours withdrawal. Plus British, Turkish, Indian etc forces that have effectively withdrawn already.

* An American economy that's teetering on the edge of major recession, with some business interests served by an eventual victory, and some by just continuing to fight.

* No chance of victory, no exit strategy, and no government in Afghanistan or Iraq to negotiate with afterwards.

* Plans to bomb Iran, which is quite capable of responding with bombs of it's own - via terrorist groups.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kapitano, I do wish you all the best for your interview... today! Sorry for being a bit late! I'm sure you'll be quite successful! I'll be holding my thumbs for you the whole day! (I only hope this is correct English!...)
    Besides deserving it, your skills will give you the place!
    Best wishes from Lisbon! :-)

    Ricardo

    ReplyDelete