Go On, Go On

A relatively stress-free recording session with Strict Machines. Having last week learned the hard way that soundchecks are a good idea, we got some reasonable sounding recordings. They have yet to learn the hard way that keeping an hour's worth of recordings from each practice session is a great way to end up with 10 hours of stuff to listen through before you pick 4 songs for an EP.

There's another candidate for band bassist - a tall, slim, blond, 23 year old lady, who is apparently "incredibly hot and amazingly ditsy". The previous candidate was a mild-mannered young fellow who couldn't play bass. Before that was a frighteningly versatile multi-instrumentalist with degrees in linguistics and politics. She left because she didn't like people who knew more about linguistics and politics than her. Before that it was a 20 year old guy who was (a) utterly utterly gorgeous, (b) bisexual and into older man and (c) unable to play bass.

There's one man who's a pretty good bassist, and really wants to join the band. He's been thrown out of every single band he's ever been in, and it's complete mystery to him why. He's quite simply the most self-important and inconsiderate person I've ever met.

And that's why Strict Machines have never had a bass player.

I've come up with some new lyrics. Usually it's existing an song which give me ideas, and this time it was Madonna's "Hung Up" and "First Man in Space" by All Seeing I. The philosophical conundrums (conmundra?) and the Beckett quotations were my idea though.

What's Going On?

Chorus:
Moment on moment
Pattering down into a heap
Like the grains of
That old greek

Second by second
Cutting away like a knife
Sit and wait for
That to mount up to a
Life

Verse 1:
If god is a flying spaghetti monster,
Who put fossils in the ground?
If a tree falls in an empty forest
What is the sound? Oh and is that profound?
And, what is so great about star trek movies?
Why do the good die far too young?
What did I do to make you love me?
What's going on? Tell me what's going on

What's going on? Tell me what's going on (x4)

Chorus

Verse 2:
If god gives me reason to doubt his existence
Why will he send me to hell?
If you go back and kill your grandad
Will you still be here and how can you tell?
And, how do they put those bubbles in chocolate?
What is the square root of minus one?
What did i say to make you hate me?
What's going on? Tell me what's going on

What's going on? Tell me what's going on (x4)

Chorus

Verse 3:
And, what is the noise of one hand clapping?
What does that mean anyway?
Why is it men have sensitive nipples?
Why can't you say that you're glad to be gay?

I am what I am and I like it that way (x4)


I may even sing it in between my Kate Bush covers in January - though I expect it to go through some changes beforehand.

5 comments:

  1. If you do sing it, when do we get to hear it, your loyal fans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be recording over the next few weeks - I can't say exactly when because I use the computers to do so many things, and I'm called away so often to do other stuff.

    The Kapitano Christmas album, hmmm.

    Actually, I had one planned for last New Year, and only found the recordings last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to do mixing and stuff first. The first rule of Kapitano's life is: Before you can do anything, you've got to do six other things first.

    The six things I have to do before uploading new songs are:

    * Burn 12GB of DivX video onto DVDs, to free up space on the hard drive.
    * Find the microphones and cables that I'll need for any re-recording. This may involve rearranging everything in the room.
    * Listen through the various takes of various songs, before stitching the best ones together.
    * Re-record the bits that didn't work.
    * Noise reduction, equalisation, compression and final mastering.
    * Cope with the various committments to other people that always take longer than you expect.

    But I'm on it. It'll happen.

    As for my email address, it now shows in my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see hor email addy in your profile. :(

    ReplyDelete