Play that Junky Music, White Boy

I could go through everything that happened today, or I could just say: "Delays!". I had exactly one plan for the day - record vocals for the latest song. But every time I got near a microphone, there was some technical problem someone needed me to do something urgently.

Sometimes it would be nice to be a selfish bastard with no friends. That way, I might get stuff done.


I tweaked the lyrics last night. They now look like this:


For the Time Being

Verse 1:
I never promised to love and obey
I never told you I was here to stay
I never said that you were the one

So no regrets and no long goodbye
Could never find words tell to you why
Got days or weeks then I'm been and gone

Chorus:
For the time being, I'll stick around
For the time being, it's love we've found
For the time being, I'm here for you
For the time being, this love is true

Verse 2:
This life's to short to be on your own
One minute's too long to hang on the phone
Can't see the future and don't trust in fate

Not Cassanova, not like Don Juan
Ain't like a movie and I'm not your man
Better to lose than turn into hate


I just don't know if I'll ever get to record them. Humpf.


I also started work on a rap last night. I'd had one of those late night brainwaves that seem like such a good idea at the time. This one was to do a line-by-line "reimagining" of TS Elliot's The Love Song of Alfred J Prufrock, as a drug trip.

Yes, well. It did honestly seem like a good idea at the time. After two hours of working in as many sequential quotations and "misheard" lines from Prufrock as possible, I grabbed a few hours sleep.

It was only on waking it hit me that, although it's not a bad piece of rap poetry in itself, the idea behind it is just so...lame. Having said that, with some fairly extensive rewriting and partial deprufrockification (good word, must use more often), there's the basis of something good in there.


The outside world intrudes. The neo-conservative (or if you prefer, neo-liberal) project in the Middle East has detoured between Iraq and Iran through Lebanon. Or if you believe the BBC, Israel has responded to Hezbollah taking two of it's soldiers prisoner by invading Lebanon. Or if you believe Fox News, islamofascist zionist sympathisers with Al-Qaida connections need to be pacified with guns to restore the pease.

So, for me and my comrades, there's the familliar round of demos, rallys, leaflet drops and meetings to organise it all. There's also a campaign to boycott Israeli goods from supermarkets. There's reasonable thinking behind it, but I think it'll be seen by the public as tokenistic.


Back to fantasy. Taz and Pig have a net radio station! Not the most leftfield playlist in the world, but professionally put together. The mixing and the jingles could have come from one of the better local commercial stations - but without the teethgriding adverts that make you want to smash up the radio.

Taz's tones and manner - with occasional X-rated interjections from the unexpectedly camp voiced Piggy - are laidback and friendly. Cirtainly preferable to the smug artschool blather you get in the high frequencies of your FM wireless.

4 comments:

  1. Could you write a Tazzy and Piggy rap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a very talented individual. I hope I get to hear the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is an article. An article of talent wrapped in unique insecurities - much like the rest of us, only not.
    He is the Kapitano.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sentence "I am so touched" has at least two meanings:

    (1) I am emotionally touched by the sentiment you've expressed. Thank you so much.

    (2) I am touched in the head. Mad, bonkers, insane in the brain.

    ReplyDelete