Hello Dolly

Today's Distractions:
1) Signing on. The good news is there are vacancies this week. The bad news is they're all for lobotomisingly tedious jobs, and I'm sending my CV off for three of them.
2) A comrade asking for advice on a DTP project. I spent many years as a freelance graphic designer, but describing the dropdown menu choices involved in changing text kerning - over the phone, from distant memory and without a computer in front of me - is a bit of a stretch.
4) Another comrade wanting company, conversation, and help copying CDs. Welcome, but time consuming.

However, I did manage to hasily record some vocals for For the Time Being, and produce a workable demo. Kamakura liked the result - especially the modelled electric guitars - but thought the drums sounded fake. He's right - sampled drums are infuriatingly difficult to make authentic sounding. Even with the best samples and the most expert modulation in the playback parameters, they just don't vary in the same way as the real thing.

However, I've managed to make them sound a little more non-sampled, and the result is...here.

The lady singing harmony on the chorus isn't Dolly Parton. She's me, pitchshifted up an octave and formant-shifted around. I've christened her Dolly Eek, for any fans of polari out there. Hopefully she'll appear on future songs.

The song is a foray into indie guitar rock, but I'm still basically a synthhead. Future stuff will probably be more electronic - with occasional rocky bits.

Anyway, I'll send it off to this week's SongFight competition, and see how badly it'll be misunderstood.

No comments:

Post a Comment