Support Network

An evening with two thirds of Strict Machines, who will be coming to the party on Sunday nonchalantly swinging an acoustic guitar and a set list. Just in case I need a support band. Hint hint.

Well I don't see why not - it should be pretty good. My own set has grown, split in two like an amoeba, and now looks like this:

Set 1 (17 minutes):
1) Intro (a minute of synth sweeps, film samples and no vocals, where I get to express my pretentious side)
2) Science Fiction, Double Feature (where I get to be a little bit camp)
3) The Puppet's Dream (a remix of the LMHR version of my rap, for which I really must find a different title)
4) Friends of the Earth (a surprise Kamakura cover!)
5) Heretic (to annoy any christians in the audiance)
6) The Puppet's Dream (another tweaked version of another Kamakura cover)

Set 2 (11 minutes):
1) Friend (an extensive remix for my melancholy side)
2) Nacht unt Traume (pretentious side again)
3) 12 Monsters (silly side)
4) Under the Wagon (obscure side)
5) Birthday Rocks (fun, but rubbish, but hopefully still fun...but still rubbish)


On the way home I thought..."Wouldn't it be really cool if I could slip a cover of Goldfrapp's song Strict Machine into my set, unannounced, seeing as Strict Machines are my support band?"

So I spent a few hours messing around with various possible backing tracks for the song which, for some bizarre reason is in A# Major and 126 BPM. After rejecting several I thought..."Wouldn't it be really cool if I recreated some old disco classic to sing the song over? Something like...I Feel Love?"

I can now reveal that remaking an old Donna Summer cliche is not cool - it's deeply crap. But not as crap as me trying to impersonate Allison Goldfrapp.


The day before Sunday 18th is, astoundingly, Saturday 17th. Which will be spent travelling up to London, meeting the half of the cast that lives in London, doing a rehearsal, and traveling back.

I should therefore probably have learned my lines properly. But seeing as no one else has bothered...I'll leave it a bit.


Anna F thinks it would be seriously cool for CW and me to settle down together and go all domestic. Because it turns out they've known each other for years and years.

Though she acknowledges that he's one of the strangest people she's ever met. And the possibility that we might drive each other stark staring round the nutty twist.


I now have a minidisc recorder - A Sony MZ-R55. UKP30 from ebay for a discontinued product, instead of UKP200 for a new one - quite good value I think. It doesn't have the long-play abilities of later models that can stretch an 80 minute minidisc to 4 times the length, which is a minor annoyance.

There's 10 blank discs included, but no instuction manual on how to operate the thing. Fortunately, it's online.


I've signed up to Marxism 2006. A 5 day conference for UKP35 is pretty good value, considering they find you basic accommodation for free, and have speakers like Tariq Ali, Terry Eagleton and Ken Loach.

I just wish the simple act of being in London didn't cost three times as much.


Last night, I tried bleaching an old pair of jeans. I thought bleach was supposed to turn dark blue into light blue, not brown and yellow splotches.

I looked it up on the intergoogleweb, and according to an article on a neo-nazi hate site about "bleeching", it's all to do with the amount of chlorine in the mixture.


Today, Joe R leaves for his month long cheap package holiday tour around the axis of evil. The upshot for me is that I'm in charge of the bookstall at meetings and forums. And, as nominal forum organiser, I'll be happy to do the books...when someone tells me when the next forum is.

No comments:

Post a Comment