Better than the Real Thing (Part 2)


I've got about 250 CDR discs full of mp3s. And the same number containing software, plugins, ebooks and miscelainious data. I suppose I could take 500 discs with me wherever I end up...but 50 is a more sensible number to bundle with the laptop. That way people might not think I'm a computer geek. Cough.

So, a night of judiciously selecting the gigabytes I'm actually likely to use, and putting them onto DVDRs.

Um...there's also the three or four dozen "adult DVDs", so called because of the grown up plotlines and mature actors. Just how many European twinks and American musclequeens do I need on my shelf?

[Update: I've just counted. There's eighty of them. How in hades did that happen? And I've only seen maybe ten of them.]

Quick change of mood. There aren't many things that make me cry. This is one of them, but I'm not sure why.

You can get CDs of ocean waves, thunderstorms, forests at night, rain and wind. You put them on at low volume and they lull you off to sleep. It sounds rather hokey - largely because it is rather hokey - but I find that kind of quiet ambient noise helps me sleep much better than actual silence.

You can also get CDs of music - in the loosest sense of the word - by bands like my current favourite, Sleep Research Facility, who recreate and "musicalise" these ambient sounds.

I've got a program that generates these soundtracks, mixing running water, lapping ocean, night wildlife and "brainwave tones. It works quite well.

Just one detail though. Outside my windows there's real live wind and rain - and it's not relaxing at all. Hmmmm.

Today's pearl of wisdom posted to someone else's blog was written for David:

A lot of people seem to get into relationships just to be seen in them. A bit like listening to music you don't care about simply because the cool kids are doing it.

I've certainly seen people get married out of a vague conviction that married life is somehow more fulfilling than single life. And once they are married they swap it for the similar conviction that having secret sex with a third person is more fulfilling than having it with your partner.

And so, I've come to the conclusion that people who don't need their marriages to be happy...have the happier marriages.

So there :-).


1 comment:

  1. My sister introduced me to Sigur Ros. It was certainly a breath of fresh air considering the trashy pop that always seems to be on the local air waves.

    As for the "pearl," I just don't get it. I suppose my idea of what marriage is, how a couple should enter into it, and then live it, is very conservative. Okay... maybe not that conservative.

    ReplyDelete