Touched by the Hand


Touch screen technology - a solution waiting for a problem.

I tried it two years ago when I got a new phone. It was sleek, powerful, and an absolute pig to operate. After three days I took it back to the shop and swapped it for one with lower specifications - crappy camera, no ebook reading facility, very limited video viewing, sort-of but not-really MMS ability.

But it was actually usable, and the lack of such 'selling points' as mp3 ringtones, secondary camera and en-suite video editing wasn't an issue because, well, what kind of person buys a phone because it can play last months chart-topper instead of ringing?

However, that contract has nearly expired so...I've got a new one. With QWERTY keyboard for writing my novel, android apps for mapreading, and a 5 megapixel camera that can shoot video at 720x480 and 30 frames per second. In other words...DVD!

It's a frelling camera phone, and it can make movies of up to 2 hours in domestic DVD quality. Or rather it could...if it had a good quality lens. Is it me, or is that combination of overkill and cheap design a bit mad?

This new phone can read PDFs, and other ebook formats. It's got a second camera facing me so I can put video diaries on Youtube. There's an option to upload photos to Flikr immediately upon taking them...before I even review them. Whose idea was that?

It's got a special dedicated button for connecting to bloody Facebook. That alone speaks volumes about what the designers think about and of the target audience.

The battery life is two days - one third of my old phone. Oh, and it's got possibly the naffest name of any phone ever: The Cha Cha. Yes.



All of which I can happily live with. But the touchscreen aspect isn't as peripheral as the advertising copy suggested. It's absolutely central, and there's almost no keyboard alternative - which would be usually faster.

Imagine your computer didn't have a mouse, but you clicked and moved things by putting on a boxing glove and rubbing it around the screen. Gloves aren't precise, so to click anything you need to keep dabbing at the screen until it decides you've hit the right spot. And then you drag a slider up or down to where you want it, except you have to guess because you can't see the slider because...the fucking glove's in the way.

Look, technology doesn't advance by identifying problems and finding solutions. It advances by finding new things it can do, and then casting about for applications.

X-rays weren't discovered by someone looking for ways to diagnose bone fractures - they were a mysterious new wave that got beamed at anything and everything to see what happened, for decades. It was marketed as everything from a baldness cure to a replacement for the telegraph.

Nuclear fission still doesn't have a safe application, but it's still being pushed as an expensive and risky way to run steam turbines. If you think nuclear energy is green, ask yourself what infrastructure it relies on.

Electricity was a lab-bound curiosity for decades. Now we're so reliant in it, civilisation would collapse without it.

You can now get laptops with touchscreen capability - the new super gee-wiz version of the mouse. The one that doesn't work as well as the mouse, and gives you different, worse types of repetitive strain injury.

I've watched software engineers wax lyrical about how touchscreen will enable users to interact with the computers in whole new ways. But they never, ever, speculate what these new ways might be.

Hey, maybe there are uses for touchscreen that keyboards, speech recognition, Kinect, tracker balls and mouses (mice, meese, moose) can't do. There's just been no sign of them yet.



As for my new handset, it's got a full keyboard which might come in handy, occasionally useful apps, a pretty good camera, and I can read miniature books on it.

For everything else - music and audiobooks, battery life and, erm, talking to people on the phone, the old handset is actually superior. So I'll probably be moving the sim card over to it, having effectively signed a two year contract and got a free micro-palmtop.

Oh, and the old handset I bought two years ago: it was obsolete at the time.

3 comments:

  1. I hate touchscreens, although, to be fair, the ones on the self-service tills at the supermarket seem to work quite well, probably because there are limited options to include, and the screen's big enough to make the 'buttons' a decent size. Even then, the fact that you have to scroll through more than one page to find the icon for the fruit or veg you want to weigh is frustrating - if the tills came with a keyboard it would be much quicker to type onions than find onions on the menu. At least the technology's moved on from the stage where you had to use a hammer and chisel to get it to register an input...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poop. I really wish - oh yes I do - that you had posted a blog entry BEFORE going and getting a phone. Your diehard fans (that would be us, or more properly, me) could have said to you 'No! NOOOOOO Kapitano! Do not go out and get a cha-cha-chump. They're %&^*%!.'

    I have a phone that is the utter dog's bollocks, and, honestly, brilliantly excellent. It's a Samsung Galaxy S. It runs on android and it has the best (and largest) touchscreen there is... which is why Apple are suing them.

    My beef, if I have to have one, is that the Galaxy S II has now come out (drool).

    I really do use it for reading both epub and .mobi books - its 4" screen is very usable.

    ... Sad, aren't I? ;)

    Cheers,

    Camy

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aethelread: Once you figure them out, the supermarket touchscreens are pretty good. And you realise how good they are when they break down about once a week, leaving you queueing for the cashier who does the same job - but can get you vodka and razors too.

    I've learned the hard way to wait five years after technology is new - just so when I use it, it'll more or less work.



    @Camy: Actually I was going to get an old blackberry model, but the (I really don't want to type it's horrible name) Cha Cha outperformed it in almost all areas.

    The Galaxy S looks pretty good - and in fact my very tech-savvy brother uses one - but it's just not available in the price range I'm looking for.

    Pay monthly, £10.50 per month, 50 mins talk and 250 text messages, no data plan. Good enough for me.

    And if you're sad, I'm happy to join you in sadness.

    ReplyDelete