Resolutions


So, it's the new year.

I've been on the earth for around 350,000 hours, and with any luck there's about the same again to come. What am I supposed to do with it?

In seventeen days (assuming I don't get hit by a bus) I'm turning forty.

In about twenty five days (assuming bureaucracy doesn't screw up again) I'm catching a plane to take a job teaching in the arse end of nowhere.

And in six months I'm scheduled (assuming...I stick the the schedule) to decide whether I want to stay there for another six.

So I suppose I do have a plan for the next year. Become (apparently) middle-aged, be gainfully employed, try to save a lot of money while having some new experiences, and at some point catch a plane to somewhere else.

But apart from that...


  • All those intriguing stray thoughts which crop up, the one which make you think "I wonder if there's a witty or incisive blogpost in that"...before you think "Hmmm, maybe I'd offend or confuse or bore my army of casual readers, so I'll play safe and keep quiet".

    Quick film reviews, a weekly series on abstruse philosophical topics, things which were blindingly obvious but which I'd never fully appreciated before. That kind of thing - blog it.

  • Have a go at video blogging. Without ever showing my face.

    What's the worst that could happen? Or to put it another way, what could possibly go wrong?

  • Just make some fucking music already. It doesn't have to be lyrically profound, or tonally inventive, or genre breaking.

    The band who first made me want to make music - the Art of Noise, back in 1985 - described their avant-garde noodling as "high tech skiffle". And that's good enough for me.


But before all that...try getting to sleep before seven in the morning. Maybe not every night, but at least once a week.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Captain!
    I want to wish you all the best for 2012 (which is just about to arrive!).
    May we all get to live in a better world than this is!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... the arse end of nowhere

    I didn't know you were coming to my town. :-)

    Happy 2012 ... and best of luck in the coming apocalypse!

    ReplyDelete