The World Shall Hear from Me Again


I haven't been watching the olympics, but three stories filtered through to me.

The first two are about how fiendishly cunning the Chinese are. Some of the firework displays at the opening ceremony were done with camera trickery, and the cute little girl who sang an uplifting song was lipsynching.

According to the blogosphere, these show how devious and untrustworthy the Chinese government is. Because in the enlightened West we'd never stoop to using photoshop or mime.

And the other story...Tom Daley, who is (a) 14, (b) British and (c) a swimmer, had an argument with his teammate. I know this because it was front page news in several newspapers.

Russia invading Georgia wasn't.

I know exactly what I'm doing on Thursday.

In the morning, I'm buying the cheapest crisps and fizzy drinks I can find, plus things for making sandwiches.

In the afternoon, I'm teaching. Don't know what I'm teaching yet - I'll decide five minutes beforehand, and wind up teaching something different anyway because it'll turn out the class needs it.

In the early evening, I'm making lots and lots of sandwiches, and carrying the food to the local community centre, to sit with it in a room waiting for students to turn up. To participate in the Meridian School of English Table Tennis (Ping Pong) Championships.

If no one turns up, I'll then eat the sandwiches. If someone does turn up, they'll get the grand prize, which will probably be made of chocolate - because I couldn't get a book token.

Then as midnight approaches, I'll get a text message saying something like, "Soz m8, cant blow your horn tonite cos im feelin like shit. tomoro?".

And finally, I plan to stay up till 0300 trying to write a song. There's three almost written, so hopefully on Friday there'll be four.

Current musical squeeze: Colony 5. Swedish futurepop.

Pavement wit: A rush of crud to the head.

Used to describe those brief few minutes when you get highly enthusiastic about an idea which on reflection turns out to be incredibly stupid.

If you find an opportunity to use this phrase, please include a link to this blog encoded as a subliminal message in your body language.

2 comments:

  1. Most of my blog posts were the result of a rush of crud to the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all the best with your ping pong. We all need a hobby - chortle ;)

    'A rush of crud to the head' hmm ... a song by Mouldplay?

    Can't wait for your new songs, btw.

    Ave.

    ReplyDelete