I Have Done a Mistake


There's a book called "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan that's the closest thing EFL teachers have to a bible. Most of the time I find it invaluable, but sometimes I think he's just wrong - not about what English forms are correct but about which are incorrect. I think his notion of acceptable English is too narrow.

Here's a list of utterances that he says show mistakes. I've followed the convention of indicating mistaken forms with an asterisk, and given the "corrected" form in parentheses.

* He's a difficult to understand person
(He's a difficult person to understand)

* I haven't got some free time today
(I haven't got any free time today)

* He said to me that he was Chinese
(He told me he was Chinese)

* She told me she has a headache
(She told me she had a headache)

* He has much money
(He has a lot of money)

* When you come, take your bike
(When you come, bring your bike)

* I like the 60s music
(I like 60s music)


* I've good knowledge of German
(I've a good knowledge of German)

* All along the centuries, there have been wars
(All through the centuries, there have been wars)

* I nearly wish I'd stayed at home
(I almost wish I'd stayed at home)

* No doubt the world is getting warmer
(There is no doubt that the world is getting warmer)

* Would you follow me wherever I would go?
(Would you follow me wherever I went?)

* I'm thankful for your help
(I'm greatful for your help)

* Stefan can never return back to his country
(Stefan can never return to his country)

* My older sister is a pilot
(My elder sister is a pilot)

* I love that fat silly cat
(I love that silly fat cat)

* This is not the least of the unemployed's problems
(This is not the least of the problems of the unemployed)

* Put the butter at once in the fridge
(Put the butter in the fridge at once)


I think all of these "wrong" forms are actually quite acceptable. Some are inelegant, some may be a little eccentric, but if I heard any of them I wouldn't automaticallacy think "That's wrong".

I wrote that last night and saved for further pondering. Then I made a nice cup of darjeeling to ponder over...and the lights fused - and because of the insane way the electrics in this place are wired up, everything is on the lights circuit.

Humph. So I tried to tidy the place up, and managed to drop the glass jar from the coffee percolator. And spent an interesting half hour finding bits of broken glass in odd places.

Stuck for anything else to do, I went for a walk. And twisted my ankle on one of those potholed pavements I mentioned. And then managed to get lost.

Eventually finding my way back, I made a goodnight cup of tea with the plug-in heating element and a newly discovered plug on a different circuit. Which lasted just long enough to boil the water before fusing.

Fortunately the boyfriend of my host Tania is an electrician, who fixed everything in the morning, ten seconds flat. While shaking his moptopped head sadly that anyone could wire things up like that.

Suspecting that the now partly melted heating element might be the cause of both blowouts, I made my first big purchase in Bulgaria - a kettle.

Now, I could tell you about my several wasted hours trying to connect my laptop to this net line, or my now swollen and painful ankle, or the strange smell coming from the bathroom, but I won't. Except I just have, but nevermind.

Something I've noticed about different types of tea - they actually do taste different when you don't put milk in them! Darjeeling has a smokey flavour, and Earl Gray is almost acrid. Ceylon is smooth by comparison, but with an aftertaste that reminds me of...tarragon, I think.

Odd how most languages come up with words for a hundred different types of foolishness, and as many for sex, but they don't distinguish so much between flavours or smells.

3 comments:

  1. When you come, get OFF your bike or you'll cause an accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting off on your bike could easily cause an accident

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting off on your bike sounds both painful and ... erm, painful. Isn't that what rubber handlebar grips are for? ;)

    ReplyDelete