I Wanna Be a Rock Star


I've bought an electric guitar.

The reason is quite simple: After a year of trying, on and off, to create realistic strumming and plucking with samples, scripts and physical models, I've come to the conclusion that...it can't be done. Making a realistic emulation of a plucked string is simple, as is a set of samples of muted and open chords. It just sounds totally unrealistic and choppy when you make a tune out of it.



If you want something that sounds like a real guitar - acoustic or electric - you have a choice. You can either:

(1) Use slow and painful MIDI programming to recreate the dozen or so subtle but important interconnected parameters which constantly change in context to make up the sound of guitar strings, or
(2) Learn to play a guitar.



Ah, but my guitar needs to be small and portable, because I'm short on space and will probably need to fit it into a travelbag for transport. So I spent a week looking at half-size guitars.



Now, most half-size guitars are aimed at children under ten, and the biggest seller is the absurdly (or wonderfully) named Dangleberry Music. They're real electric guitars, with optional humbuckers and professional-level rosewood and maple build. It's just that they come in pink, or bright yellow, or camouflage patterns.



But the much more sensibly named Tanglewood do a (cheaper!) range which are "great for beginners, those with small hands and those on the move". So all I need now are the hands of a child.



And music lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on joining the fraternity of Rock Gods! You should take comfort from the fact that, no matter how painful learning to play might be, you will be unlikely to be a slower learner than me - I first strummed a guitar seriously 17 years ago, and I've just about reached the level of basic competence...

    ReplyDelete