Sod the Dratted Thing


I have spent the last week reading ebooks on CSS, and experimenting with style sheets.

I'm duly impressed with what it can do, and decidedly unimpressed with its ability to do what I want without resorting to messy kludges that don't even work on all browsers.

It should be quite simple to center graphics vertically in a window, and have musical info arranged in repeating sections - one section for each song - down the page with blurb in a left column and lyrics on the right. And it should be easier to do these things in shiny new CSS than in rusty old HTML.

But it isn't. I can do these things with DIVs and classes, but it gets just as knotted as doing it with table rows and elements. Using DIVisions embedded three deep to recreate the effect of a single deprecated HTML tag - "valign" - isn't what I call elegant.

Well, there comes a time when you stop trying to make the technology do what you want, and start selecting what you can live with from what the technology can do. If you can't make your guitar sound like Jimi Hendrix, you explore what you can make it sound like - and if you're lucky, you invent a distinctive new sound that'll get you legions of adoring fans.

3 comments:

  1. I've no clue what CSS is. I can understand what you mean about technology though. I've learned to use it when necessary, but I don't necessarily need to use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no no! What you want to do is go to:
    http://www.freecsstemplates.org/
    grab a suitable template and tweak it.

    Honest, guv.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Camy: I'm not talking about giving up on CSS. I'm talking about giving up on trying to make CSS recreate what I did with tables and depricated tags.

    There are some layouts that are easier to do in tables than styles and divs. Especially as, for some bizarre reason, CSS can't do vertical centering well.

    I'm just talking about reconsidering the design in light of CSS's strengths.

    ReplyDelete