Not the Next Generation


I has done a hip hop. Let me show you it.

Kapitano - Generation eXit

I did it for SongFight under the title "Ruthless Lately", though I think my title is better, so there. This is an alternative version I decided not to submit - which means dear readers, this is an exclusive mix just for you :-).

Here's the lyrics. Spot the Leonard Cohen reference.

Intro
The words mean nothing, just a
Way to fill the empty space, a
Way of marking time, like it
Needed marking anyway.

Fashion's what you do when you
Don't know what you want to be
Style's what they promise when you
Give them all your money.


Verse 1
The words mean nothing, just a
Way to fill an empty song, the
Space between the bass and the
Air with nothing going on.

Fashion's a disguise when you
Don't know who you want to seem
Style's what you buy that's why it's
Called the music industry

They can package everything
Anything you throw at them
Everything you hate about them
Sell it back to you again, your

Childhood in mp3, your
paranoid conspiracy, you
own sexuality, your
personal reality

Chorus
This is Generation eXit
Calling home
That was Generation eXit
Calling home

Verse 2
They used to tell me I was living truthless
I turn around and start to make it ruthless

Ideas mean nothing just a
Way to fill an empty head
Faker man is cooking books 'cos
Baker man is baking bread.

First we take Manhattan
Then we take a spin, used to
Love me as a loser now you're
Looking for a hotter sin

Any clever man won't understand
What's what if their
Happiness depends upon them
Not.

It doesn't matter what the answers are if
They can make the questions wrong, the
Lyrics mean nothing just a
Noise to fill an empty song

4 comments:

  1. I like!

    Leonard Cohen reference(s): I'm guessing the phrase 'Loved me as a loser now you're looking for a hotter sin' is a reference to the phrase 'You loved me as a loser, now you're worried that I just might win', from the song 'First We Take Manhattan', which you also reference.

    Wait, was 'Spot the Leonard Cohen reference' meant to be a rhetorical...well, not question, but you get what I mean? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm not sure how I meant it. But nicely spotted anyway.

    "Manhattan" was my introduction to Cohen - even though it was the Jennifer Warnes version, played on MW radio one sleepy afternoon by Bob Harris.

    Or Whispering Bob Harris, to give him his full name.

    Glad you like. I've spent far too many months making technical preparations to make music...and at the end being too tired (or busy) to actually make it.

    Now I'm working on a small set of 8-bit drums and a mono-oscillator monophonic monosynth - the idea being to use a limited palette for quick results and not worry too much about technical cleverness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! My hat is well and truly doffed.

    You should spend more time writing and recording and less tinkering with what you record with. I really liked the production - though the ending needed to build rather than fade so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, we'll see how the other SongFighers react.

    I've been trying to write and record over the last few days, but life gets in the way...almost as much as 'just a little tinkering over the drums', which has now lasted three days.

    If Kamakura ever need a remix, I'd be happy to give you one. Erm, so to speak.

    Better still though would be...some more Kamakura songs! :-).

    ReplyDelete