I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay


Monday divided neatly into two halves.

The first half involved watching some bureaucrats filling out some forms, and me putting random squiggles in the box marked "Signature".

I shouldn't be in the country for more than six weeks, and much of that time will be spent arranging a job. However, in order to receive the money I need for the plane ticket to take that job, I have to do a ten week course in how to look for a job.

I have now officially started this course four times, and completed less than three weeks of it. It starts (again) in three weeks time. Unless that is I have a good jobby reason for not attending the first day - like, for instance, having a job interview on that day. If I can't make the first day, I'm not allowed to attend the others.

I'll be dealing with at least a dozen schools, so it's a definite possibility - and some schools want up to three interviews.

Now, if, hypothetically, this happens, the procedure is as follows. One set of bureaucrats send me a letter asking me to confirm in writing what I've already told them in person - that I had an interview. They will want proof that the interview occurred but are forbidden to contact any third parties - such as, for instance, the interviewer, for verification.

I send them whatever evidence there is, and they forward it to a second set of bureaucrats in a different building, who forward it to a third set in a different city, who send me a letter asking for further proof - though they refuse to define what constitutes evidence. They also are not permitted to contact the interviewer. After three months they may or may not check that I responded.

Meanwhile the first set of bureaucrats fill out the same forms again and I put a squiggle on them again, arranging to restart the course a few weeks later. On two occasions the forms have got lost in processing and had to be filled out an additional time.

One week later I leave the country.

Yes, I've been through this before.

The second half of yesterday involved waving a great big chopper around - a real two-hander. There was a lot of pulling and pushing. And long poles of hard wood thrusting upwards.

Yeah okay, I was cutting down some trees.

Tuesday consisted mainly of taking a computer to bits, installing various video capture cards, trying out permutations of cables and adaptors, screaming in frustration, and occasionally reinstalling Windows.

Wednesday was similar, but slightly less enjoyable.

I did not cut down any trees.

I've bought some sunblock. At least I think I have. According to the label it's "Medium Moisturising Sunlotion" which "Protects Against DNA Damage".

So if you've got any mediums that need moisturising, or protection against damage done by DNA, I can help.

Still, that kind of labeling makes a kind of sense - most moisturisers contain sunblock, so sunblock is marketed as souped up moisturiser.

Tonight I've been asked to do some babysitting. This means the baby sits on me. I've asked, and it's definitely that way 'round - even when they're being too loud.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, do estas vian kulpon, ke la vetero estas malbona hodiaŭ! Kial vi devis aĉeti sunkremo?!!

    ReplyDelete