Sieben? Acht!


Something I wrote a few weeks ago but didn't post.

I'm writing this in Windows 7. But I'll probably post it in XP. This post is a bit of a rant, so feel free to skip.

Some excerpts from tonight's conversation with my new installation of Windows 7:

  • No, I don't want to save everything in "Downloads" or "My Documents" - I want to chose the download location. You know, chose. For myself.

    So, um, how can I actually move around the folder and drive structure? No, really, how can I just...go up one level?

    Are you telling me I've got to type in the full path of where I want to go? What is this, MS-DOS?

    Oh right. Instead of a little "up" arrow I've got to have a "navigation pane" (yes, pain) open.

  • No, I don't want to go on the internet to look at the help file, or visit microsoft.com, or anything else. You see, I want to decide if and when and where I browse.

  • How do I turn off the sodding touchpad? Have I got to actually install some additional touchpad drivers which will disable the native ones...and then disable them? Thought so.

  • You've decided that whichever partition you're installed on, that's drive C - and you're rearranged all the others to suit. Thanks. No, no, it's not confusing at all.

  • I don't want those big cartoony icons on the screen - I want small icons in the quicklaunch bar to pop up when I need them.

    What? Quicklaunch is disabled by default? Who thought that was a good idea?! Nevermind, how do enable it?

    I said, how do I enable it?


There are exactly two good things I can say about Windows 7.

First, it does make networking much easier. Unless you want to change anything about your network. In which case neither I, nor my mother (who knows a frightening amount about networks), nor my brother (who's an international expert on these things) have been able to figure out what to so.

So that's a...qualified good thing.

And second, once the absurd bulk of 14GBs installation has been trimmed down a sensible 2.5GB - quite illegally by the same anonymous genius who made XP 1/6th the original size with almost no loss of function...it's marginally faster than XP.

So that's another qualified good thing.

I'm not PC, and Windows isn't my idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment